Monday, April 18, 2011

What a novel idea!

Saturday morning . . . woke up in the wee hours of the morning as I do. I had limited time so needed to decide what to do  . . . Run Blue now or wait until Sunday. I wanted to run now . . . he hadn't had a good run for a few days and I think I had neglected even my long walks in the past 2 days. And we were going to be out all day and night and I always like to give him extra time out when we do that. But my bed was warm and cozy. It was yucky out . . . raining and grey . . . blaaaahhhhh. So I laid there, listening to both sides of my brain telling me different things.

I checked the hourly weather forecast . . . no end in sight to the rain but it was warmish. That's a positive point. I'd get a run in, another positive point. Blue would get his run, positive again. Nobody would be out walking in the rain, another positive! So many positives and no real negatives. How could I not go. And all I kept thinking was - nobody would be out there!! How exciting! I had to decide right now because I was on the verge of not having enough time to run, eat, shower and get out of the house. So I decided YES! Jumped out of bed and got myself and Blue ready and off we went.

Since it was wet, we just did a quick walk to the path and started to run right away. I wanted to warm up quickly so I wasn't cold once the rain soaked through me. Not 400 metres into our run I am happily in my bubble (heehee) thinking about how great this run will be with nobody out!

Boy was I wrong! But you all knew that didn't you . . . Dog people are a crazy bunch!

So we round the little bend and there is the first dog and his owner. As I watch them coming towards us I realize he is holding something in his other hand . . . you'll never guess what!  An UMBRELLA!!!

Who knew!?? Wow  . . . rain . . . umbrella. I was astounded. How could I not have ever thought of that? Uhhmm, I think because I'm a CAR person. House, car, work, car, house. Maybe a store in between. I have to give myself a little bit of a break - we did get Blue in December and until now rain hasn't really been a factor. But I digress, yes, walking a dog in the rain you could totally take an umbrella. Note to self - next time take the umbrella. Novel idea.

So we stop to say hi! to the black lab and then continue on our way. We ended up meeting up with 3 more people and dogs. Blue would go low, starting his signature crouch and I'd tug the leash a bit and say "Come on Blue, let's go, run, come on run!"

We made it through the next two dogs like that. We were having a good run. It was really nice and warm. I though wow, this is going good. We hit our turn around point and started back the way we came from. Wham! The wind hit me. Ahhh yes, no wonder it was so nice. The wind had been on my back aha!! But even that was no big deal. It was the initial shock of the wind on me but it wasn't too strong. We were still enjoying ourselves.

About half way home, we met up with the next dog. Blue started to go down into his crouch and I told him to keep running. We took a few more steps and I thought - so glad this is working out, he's actually listening. Big smile. Then all of sudden I was at the end of leash being jerked backwards! Blue had stopped dead into his crouch on the ground solid as a rock! The lady coming towards us laughed out loud! It must have looked pretty funny. So we stopped to say hello and have a little chat about stubborn dogs and crazy dog people out in the rain.

Off we went home. Pretty uneventful after that. Didn't meet up with anyone else. Run was about 25 mins. And a good 25 mins.  I'm happy again. :-)  Yummy hot coffee waiting at home for me - Thanks Kev!

I'm getting excited for future runs . . . I want to go longer. 5 km soon.  It either has to be on the weekend or I have to get up and out of bed earlier. Although I realized it will take me just as long to walk my little 2.5 km or run 5 km, so it doesn't need to be too much earlier. What it will take is more self motiviation to get up out of bed to RUN rather than walk. Definitely have some mental work to do . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment