Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Run #2 and 3

Run #2:  Saturday Blue and I went to the dog park. He ran and ran and ran for 1-1/2 hours with the other dogs. That was the best time we've had out at a dog park. His face looked like he was smiling. It was so cute. I wish Kevin had been there to take pics.

Sunday a.m. we had originally scheduled a walk with Chris and dogs but that fell through so I was good to do run #2 with Blue. I had hoped that Sunday's dog park run would have tired him out enough to be somewhat calm but as I've read (and experienced) over and over . . . Border Collies have tons of energy!

So. . . . I'm happy to report that Blue did run. He ran with me at a nice pace. I was hoping for another nice run but my expectations were low lol.  Good thing too. We went at about 10 a.m. Slightly drizzling I hoped not many people would be out. Ends up there was more than I expected . . .  Ahh . . . . he barked and lept at a few people and dogs. He also tried to chase two squirrels. I'm "pleased" to know that he's back to normal! Really it's just because there are so few people out at 6:00 - 6:30 a.m. when I would normally go.

We just did a short run - 3 kms. I go down our normal walking route thinking that he would not have to stop and sniff as much as a new route. He does still sniff but is happy to keep running when I tell him to.  But we still have a people / dog problem. Hmmm . . . .

And Run #3 was this morning, 3.5 kms. Disappointing but ok - waaaayyy too many people out. 6:15 a.m. and there were 4 sets of dogs and their owners . . . You know what's funny - I have to wonder where all these people were all winter in the freezing cold weather and snow when I was walking Blue at the same time everyday! I think - "wow, what did those poor dogs do then?".

This morning we started out with two bunnies in the grass. "Leave it, leave it" I say to Blue. He pulls and whines. "No, leave it". He does but gives me another little whine and pulls to the other side of the pathway, almost like he's trying to get away from the temptation. The bunnies run under the trees.

200 metres down, I see the "angry man" and his Jack Russell Terrier. I say "Good Morning" to this man every time I see him. He always responds a few seconds later, like he has to think about it,  "morning".  He's so gruff I can't tell if he's angry or that's just his voice. He barely finishes his salutation when the Jack Russel and Blue start barking at each other like they want to kill each other!! What is up with this! It happens every time. I figured if the two dogs could sniff each other this wouldn't happen anymore. BUT that isn't happening with this dude. He boogies past like we are not worthy of walking on his path and he just needs to get away. It's the same every time I see him.

Then we hit the corner where two beautiful huskies live . . . they are not in the backyard. "Whew!" I think to myself, "Lucked out there". Just as we are passing the house - the huskies fly out the backdoor and Blue whines and wants to go back. I keep running - he keeps turning around to look.

This is basically how the rest of our run goes. Except I got tired of holding Blue back and avoiding dogs so when I saw a dog I'd head in the other direction lol. Ended up taking sidewalks instead of the path for a 1/4 of the run, then jumping on the path for the last bit home. Phew, I'm tired just remembering it!

This is going to be more work than I expected. I might have to start going earlier . . . 6 a.m.? 5:30 a.m.? How early will be "early enough"??  Good lord, I'll end up having to go to bed at 8 p.m. just to get up in the morning to run the dog! THAT wasn't really part of my plan . . .

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff Shel. Quite amusing to see your dog is much the same as ours. We also meet, or pass, a lot of people who don't want us near their dogs. In our case, it's usually the owners of the smaller dogs. Little dogs seem to get less socialization. Perhaps it's because their owners don't treat them like 'dogs'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terry!
    I think most dogs are the same, especially since they are still pups! Or adolescents now. Can't wait for adulthood!

    ReplyDelete